You might be wondering what Wyzant is.
Wyzant is an online platform for tutors and students to find each other. It is one of the most popular online marketplaces for tutors in the United States.
The more visual you are to potential clients, the more likely your tutoring business will grow. Familiarity brings with it a credibility for a potential tutor.
Especially if you are just starting your tutoring business – we encourage you to sign up on Wyzant and walk through the steps of creating a tutor profile. Even if you never use the platform to secure students, this exercise will benefit you in many ways.
Let’s talk about the benefits of setting up a Wyzant account:
- First and foremost, it forces you to create profile – a short biography. To create an engaging profile you will need to list your strengths and your subject interests. This can serve as your elevator pitch (a quick synopsis) when someone asks you: “What do you do?” All tutors need an elevator pitch to tell others about their services. If you would like help creating a profile, see our article on how to Create a Profile.
- In order to be approved to teach a subject on Wyzant, you will need to complete a qualification process. For many subjects this involves completing a quiz. By doing this, you will certainly have a good understanding of your proficiency in that subject and your interest in that subject. If you find yourself googling the answers for the quiz, you may want to pass on tutoring that subject. :}
- By navigating through Wyzant, you can see what other tutors in your area and subject charge. Match up your qualifications and services and be sure to charge a price that makes sense for you as well as the market you are serving. If you’re not sure how to do this contact us and we will help you through it.
- Wyzant has several resources that can help beginning tutors and even those who are growing their business. Check out their Resource link.
- Tutors on Wyzant can benefit from the blog and forums, as well as lessons and videos. It’s worth your time and helps to build community.
And when you least expect it…. Wyzant sends leads your way – which is why it’s always good to post your profile there!
Many tutors shy away from Wyzant because they charge a whopping 25% fee. To their credit, that fee was reduced in January 2019 from a much steeper structure. None the less 25% is 25% of your earnings. If you’re just starting out, remember that something ($) is better than nothing ($) and taking a few jobs at a lower price to build a reputation is good strategy!
As we help tutors build their businesses, we recommend that tutors go through the exercise of posting a profile on Wyzant and work through the qualification process for the subjects they are interested in tutoring. However, just posting a profile and applying for jobs on Wyzant is not likely to be enough to build a booming tutoring business. But it’s a great place to start! If you need help, we would love to come alongside you and help you build a thriving business.